Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Statesman Journal article about Mr. Leyden's visit

October 28, 2009


Musician's visit excites young players

Karin Holton

I really don't know who had the bigger thrill when Norman Leyden recently visited West Salem High School as part of the Oregon Symphony Association in Salem's Educational Program. He was there to work with their Sinfonietta on "Serenade for Strings," a piece he composed for a junior group of the Westchester Youth Symphony more than 40 years ago.

West Salem's orchestra director, Daryl Silberman, was excited.

The students were not sure what to expect, but they had the music prepared and were ready to learn.

Leyden was a little tentative but still enthusiastic about working with these young musicians.

Although I am familiar with Leyden's work with the Oregon Symphony, it was the first time I actually met him. He is very quiet and unassuming normally, but put a conductor's baton in his hand, he is quite a commanding presence.

He had just celebrated his 92nd birthday, and I am certain that he has inspired many young musicians, myself included. But I am just as certain that these students have inspired him.

Madi W., a ninth-grade violinist said, "It was a great experience to meet the person who writes our music. Seeing Mr. Leyden inspired me and made me realize that music is something I can enjoy my whole life."

As I walked out with of the school with Leyden, I noticed his smile was a little bigger.

As we got in the car, he said "Now I am invigorated. I got a little exercise. I had a little fun, and I got to play some music. Let's do it again."

Visit www.artsmartsalem.org for a listing of events for the current month and remember, "There's Something to do in Salem."

Karin Holton is executive director of ArtSmart. Contact her through info@artsmartsalem.org.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------