Friday, July 31, 2009

Check out another blog I'm keeping up...

If you're interested in seeing another side of musical life, you might be interested in following a blog I'm keeping for teachers and performers called "Alt Strings":

www.altstrings.blogspot.com

The term "Alternative Styles" is what string musicians call anything that's not strictly classical - so, that includes rock, blues, jazz, hip hop, funk, big band, swing, emo, etc... every genre you can imagine.

Before I was a teacher here at West, I was a clinician and a facilitator - helping teachers and players find ways of navigating the 'world' of alternative styles. My husband, Danny (whom many of you know), was the violist in an 'alternative style' string quartet - Turtle Island String Quartet - for 11 years and you know that I was in acoustic-folk rock groups when I was in LA, before coming here to Salem.

The blog will have artist profiles and interesting links on it... who knows, you just might find something interesting to explore if you check in there every now and then...
:)