Saturday, January 24, 2009

What to do if you didn't see a live concert yet this semester...

Hi,

There are many who have come to me saying that they haven't had time this semester to see a live concert. If you are one of those people, here are a few options (option 1 and 2 are online reviews):

1) Review one of the digital concert hall concerts from the Berlin Philharmonic. Here's what I posted about this online opportunity in a message on the blog a few weeks ago:

The Berlin Philharmonic, arguably the best orchestra in the world, has launched an incredible new project where you can watch a digital performance online. The viewings cost - under $10 each concert - but if you have a great internet connection and are interested in watching the future of classical music, check out this website. You must register in order to find out more about the concerts, ticket prices, etc... but it's interesting information and you just might find yourself wanting a season pass for the family:http://dch.berliner-philharmoniker.de/#/en/

2) PODCAST! Got an iPod or iTunes on your computer? I google searched "symphony orchestra podcast" and found a ton of symphonies that podcast their concerts. Review one of these podcasts - just make sure that in your review you give me a good link so I can go check your resource.

3) Last resort - review 2 CD's or DVD's (I still have some to loan out as the ones I loaned out a week ago are coming back) and write me an impassioned plea saying that you'll do 2 live reviews 2nd semester (not tough - since the Salem-Keizer Invitational orchestra festival is happening at West on April 18, you'll have plenty of opportunity to watch groups). But I'm going to hold you to that promise or you won't receive full credit next semester.
Reviews are due end of the school day Tuesday - turned in after that will result in 2 points less per day they're late (10 points total per review if turned in by Tuesday). At this point, In Touch Online is updated (except Brody Hilke - I got your reviews after I worked on my grading), so check there to see if I've received your review.

Have a great weekend!~Daryl S.